Open Earth Foundation is hiring a
DLT & Web3 Engineer: Building Decentralized Climate Solutions
Compensation: $70k – $130k
Open Earth Foundation is a California-based research and deployment non-profit developing open innovative technology to increase planetary resilience and avoid a catastrophic climate crisis.
We are a diverse international team, working with a network of collaborators and partners globally (from the United Nations to cutting-edge startups) and always ready to have fun saving the world.
We are building open infrastructure for the Paris Agreement, energy finance, biodiversity tracking, and impact solutions at the intersection of emergent technologies (ML, blockchain, Web3 technologies, IoT devices) and climate innovations.
We have funding, a network of international partners and a team of experts focused on Earth systems and digital innovation. Now we need Digital Avengers to help us on our planetary mission.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it:
As a DLT & Web3 Engineer you will leverage your skills and expertise to design and create decentralized solutions for planet Earth. Our products and platforms range from digital climate accounting systems, solar energy financing platforms, biodiversity measurement and protection protocols, to Earth game engines and digital twins for research and simulation.
The position is remote (we value time zones closer to Pacific Time) and we will consider part-time collaborators. Open to an eventual relocation to Los Angeles, CA will be a plus.
The ideal candidate: passionate about Web3 solutions for climate impact
- Has experience developing creative solutions with emerging technologies (i.e. blockchain, IoT, AI, Big Data, GIS).
- Is participating in current trends in the Web3 and blockchain space and thinking about how to apply them to fight climate change.
- Is committed to open source technology products and platforms, the evolution of the internet, multi-stakeholder innovations and big-picture climate solutions, embraces new challenges, and takes ownership and initiative as a key team player.
Responsibilities: developing, advising, thought leadership, co-designing
- Develop modular open source solutions and infrastructure for OEF climate projects.
- Design smart contracts and incentive mechanisms to drive collective action between independent actors.
- Provide strategic advice for technical assessment, definition, prioritization, architecture, design and deployment of new products and services.
- Provide strong thought leadership on DLT, Web3 and other emerging technologies.
- Co-design solution architectures and document in system diagrams.
Tech abilities: DIDs, DeFi, smart contracts, blockchain environments, tech stack
- Decentralized Identifier (DIDs) frameworks (eg. Hyperledger Indy, Aries, Sovrin)
- Working knowledge of basic DeFi mechanics
- Experience writing, testing and deploying smart contracts (EVM, Hyperledger, Stellar or Polkadot)
- Knowledge of Solidity or Rust for Smart Contract programming
- Some knowledge and experience with some areas of our tech stack (i.e. React, Node.js, Go, Python and MongoDB)
- Some AWS, Azure or Google Cloud management familiarity
- Some DevOps infrastructure familiarity
- Ideally some Machine/Deep Learning experience
- Ability and drive to immerse yourself in new technologies as needed
- Experience with deploying to production environments
- Experience with CI/CD flows of Web3 applications
- Preference for Test Driven Development
Interpersonal skills: A time-zone management master, clear communicator, creative and curious, attention to detail
- Clear communicator with good verbal and written skills in English (additional languages a plus)
- Creative, flexible and efficient with a focus on details
- Capacity to work with team members and partners at all levels and across time zones in a highly collaborative and often remote environment.
- A minimum of five year of progressively responsible experience in agile technology development.
- Ideally, startup and/or open source communities experience
Compensation and benefits
- This position is full-time with compensation commensurate with experience.
- We are open to contractors and would consider part-time collaborators if they can demonstrate that they are the right fit.
- Open Earth offers a health insurance stipend, a competitive PTO plan that includes:, paid holidays and paid sick leave to all employees
- You will work remotely within a dynamic and international environment
- You will join us in our annual team retreat to celebrate our achievements during our in-person annual team retreat
- The position is remote and can be performed from outside the U.S, however we value time zones closer to Pacific Time.
Please apply by submitting your resume AND a cover letter, it is your opportunity to highlight why you feel you would be a great addition to the team.
We look forward to hearing from you!
OEF is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We support diversity, equity and inclusion in teams, and believe people should align their work with their purpose. Join us if you love Earth.
Leave a comment