The world is changing.
We all want something different.
At Luno, we see you as an individual.
Together, we’re upgrading the world of work to unleash your potential and empower you to become the best possible version of yourself.
A bit about us:
- Luno means moon in Esperanto, we chose the name because at night, wherever you are in the world, you look up at the same moon. We believe in the power of working together, as one team, across borders, with clear focus and shared purpose.
- Our popular mobile app and website helps people around the world grow and manage their money using the world’s most mature cryptocurrencies: Bitcoin, Ethereum and USDC. We’ve processed over $21 billion to date.
- Over 8 million customers across 40 countries have chosen to hold their crypto wallets on Luno because we offer a delightfully simple experience and bank-grade security.
- We’re part of the Digital Currency Group, named in 2021 as one of TIME magazine’s 100 Most Influential Companies, in the “Disruptors” category alongside Tesla, AirBnB, SpaceX, Peloton. TIME noted that DCG is “mainstreaming cryptocurrency”.
- We’re proud to be one of the world’s most international cryptocurrency teams, with colleagues from 43 different nationalities working across South Africa, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, Malaysia, Nigeria, Australia and Singapore. Financial inclusion is part of our mission, but on a deeper level, inclusion is a way of life, and a way of work for us. It is part of who we are as a company, and a group of human individuals.
The role in a nutshell:
You will form part of the Compliance Operations team based in Cape Town, reporting to the Compliance Operations Team Lead. Our Compliance Operations team looks after our global business and consists of a growing team of enthusiastic, energetic Lunauts. You will work in a fast paced environment, collaborating with other business units, including Engineering, Product and Legal teams, servicing the business on an international level together with the teams from South East Asia, Africa and Europe.
The Compliance Operations team takes care of all operational aspects of compliance related matters for Luno’s global business. Our mission is to create a world class compliance experience for Luno as well as our customers. We make sure we have the processes and information available that enable us to truly know our customers, we monitor for any external red flags customers may carry when they use Luno and we deal with any questions our business or customers may have on what good looks like. We operate in regional teams all over the world with our central team in South Africa.
Your mission will involve:
- Supporting our Compliance Team Lead with the planning and oversight of day to day team tasks;
- Reporting on and presenting periodic compliance related data, including progress reports, SLA’s etc;.
- Supporting Luno’s compliance efforts across multiple geographies;
- Following policies and procedures to ensure compliance with regulations, including but not limited to Anti Money Laundering (AML) and Know Your Customers (KYC);
- Assisting in the implementation of new regulations or changes to existing regulations;
- Support the business with compliance operations related queries, including triaging of received queries and resolution of questions pertaining to Luno’s policy/procedures;
- Conducting enhanced due diligence reviews of customers and research, organising, filing and documenting the outcomes of the reviews;
- Leading the day to day activities pertaining to Luno’s global KYC processes for ongoing and enhanced due diligence;
- Reviewing potential sanctions and political exposure matches identified on customers;
- Supporting our engineers and Compliance Operations lead with the automation of KYC controls and refresh automation;
- Collaborate with the wider Financial Crime team to support ongoing investigations and queries;
- Supporting external compliance audits;
- Responding to regulatory requests and assisting the legal team in requests from law enforcement pertaining to money laundering;
The ideal candidate will have the following essentials:
- University degree from a recognised tertiary institution
- A minimum of 3 years work experience in AML/CFT related field
- Strong analytical mindset
- Ability to adapt within a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail, report writing and documenting outcomes of investigations
- High proficiency in English
- If not a South African citizen, an existing, valid permit to work in South Africa
- Entrepreneurial, strong sense of responsibility and very high level of integrity
- Solid interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills
- Friendly, transparent, articulate and driven to succeed
- Familiarity with crypto-currencies will be highly advantageous
Life at Luno ?
If you’re looking to work on something truly global and disruptive with a forward-thinking and ambitious team and the continuous quest for excellence, then this is an opportunity for you.
Like the majority of the companies, Luno is currently working remotely to keep our employees safe, which means you will not be physically, but virtually onboarded for now!
Live long and prosper. We’ve got you covered with excellent private medical insurance.
- You’ll be able to continuously up-skill yourself with access to free courses on Udemy, Coursera and Codecademy.
- For the crypto fans among you (should be everyone!), you’ll pay 0 fees with Luno from the day you start
- Generous maternity / paternity leave.
- An annual inspiration day, over and above your annual and public holiday leave… for that pottery course you’ve always been meaning to do!
- Work with a globally diverse team of hardworking, ambitious and friendly people on something that will truly revolutionise the financial world.
- We have virtual cooking, dancing, drawing and house planting classes hosted by our Lunauts to break up your day and work that other part of your brain.
- Work is important, but your mental health should always take priority. At Luno, we do everything we can to make sure you lead a healthy and happy life. That’s why Luno gives you free access to Headspace – a full library of guided meditations, sleep stories, and music.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not negatively discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status